Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Before you decide to do an X-change

I would not do this again.
Well I would never do this again for a year.
A year is a long time and I am feeling it.

I have learned a lot from this experience, but I feel like I should give an idea of what one exchange student girl is going through. So here on some things to think about before you decide to go off for a year.

1.) A Year is a long time.
I learned this the hard way as a woman who had only been a maximum of 1 week away from her home I decided to take a leap into a trip that was way longer than I thought it would be. Sure I was excited and my curiosity and interest stayed for a while, but a point everything became "normal." It was all routine. Get up, work (for no money), go home, go to bed. Things will become normal, be ready for normal.

2.) The love is different.

Forget outward expressions of pure unapologetic emotion in public, or even private. Germans like to show emotion only during times of celebration. Hugs are limited and there is no small talk. German Teens like you because you are the American. There are a few exceptions, but be prepared to be greeted with a straight face.

3.) Diversity

Even in the whitest parts of America (coming from a girl who lives in MN)  there is more diversity then what I see daily in my community, and if you plan on coming you will experience this as well ( unless you live in a big city). There are Germans who are not really into this whole immigration thing. If you are black be prepared to be classified as the African, and to be constantly questioned about your hair. I was just speaking with a woman from Detroit about the U.S. and it brought back some passionate feelings I have regarding culture and poverty. The German people at the table tried to understand, but they don't get it, they won't get it and that is not their fault.

There is more, but I am very tired. This is not everyone's experience but this is what I live with.
<3 <3 <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment