Translate

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Top 5

People always ask me what are the biggest changes that I have had to adapt to since being in Germany. Well for all who want to know:
1) Germany has a different weather pattern depending on where you are in the state.
No matter where you are in Germany it rains but places in the south are generally colder than places in the North. It is really cold, wet and windy where I live but there is no snow. Some laces also get this strange wind from Switzerland that makes them have headaches, but that also depends on where you are.
2) I have to bike everywhere.
I am not against biking but there are sometimes where I feel that a car would be more useful. I have to bike to school when it is freezing and to the bank and to friends houses. I would not mind it if everything was warm but it is getting to feel like winter and when riding a bike to school wet and cold I miss having a car and a Starbucks near by.
3) Everything is closer.
When I do have to bike to town it is not that long of a trip (15 minutes) and I can park my bike at the bank and walk around. There is generally everything you need in a town and more. Within walking distance there are clothes stores, grocery stores, bakery's, a toy store, restaurants, a post office, a specialty designer store, etc.... The only thing is that selection is low and prices can be high.
4) Dogs are everywhere.
So to my dog lovers out there you may be thinking that is so cute... its not.  Dogs are allowed pretty much everywhere and it is a bit strange at first but generally many of these dogs are well trained and very quiet. I have a dog of my own at home and I do love dogs but not everywhere. I was out to dinner with my family eating a nice meal and I saw an owner come in with their dog and  as the dog kept walking I saw it leaving a slobber trail. It was kinda nasty.
5) I cannot always express my emotions.
I have been helping teach English at my German school and I have found it difficult to tell the class what to do because I have to make my English easier to understand. Generally I am very sarcastic and that has been another thing that the majority of German people that I have come into contact with do not understand.

All these things said I would not give up my experience here for anything. Part of being in a new country is acknowledging that their will be some changes, and if I didn't feel like I could handle them than I would not have accepted the scholorship.

<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment