Translate

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Health

Germany is wonderful, but this is the second time in two weeks that I have had some type of stomach bug. So because I am home today recuperating I decided I will write about my perception of health in Germany. Before coming the program stressed bringing medication from the states here because the dosing is different. Personally I have not had a problem with the slight change in medicine. I brought acetaminophen (Tylenol) but I have used headache meds when I was here and I felt fine. That being said, I have not used medication as often as I would back home. I had a horrible cough/ sore throat/ sneezing fit the 1st month with my host family and normally my dad would give me cough syrup or a medical tea of some sort, but when I asked my host mom for cough syrup she said she didn't have any. It kind of surprised me, but the tea that she gave me made me feel better and two days later I was feeling better.
From what I have seen it is easier to eat healthier in Germany. They, like the majority of the world, believe that many Americans are fat and that we eat McDonald's all the time. It is true that we have an obesity problem in America but I also believe that part of that is due to how expensive it is to eat healthy, especially now with the problems of the American Economy. There are fruit carts everywhere in Germany and the fruit is relatively cheap. Meat in delis at stores are also cheaper and veggies when they are in season. Eating fast food here can be ridiculously expensive. There is not really a version of a dollar menu and burger king for a burger, fries and drink is around 8 Euro ($10.40). There are so many other better, healthier, tastier options here for "fast food." They have wonderful fish sandwiches and Doner ( a pita like bread filled with strips of lamb, beef, chicken or pork and loaded with fresh veggies and a tasty sauce very similar to a Greek Gyro). With such wonderful options and all of the walking/ bike riding it is pretty impossible to not live healthier here.

<3 <3 <3








P.S. These are some random pics :)

No comments:

Post a Comment